Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Reunion at Wells College


I spent the first weekend of June as the guest of Wells College, in Aurora, New York, where I gave a talk about Frances Cleveland and had a book signing. Those of you who are following this blog, and have read my book on Frances Folsom Cleveland, know that this liberal arts college was her alma mater. 2010 represents the 125th anniversary of her graduation from Wells. (The Aurora Window, right, in Main Hall, was created by John LaFarge, a noted stained-glass artist of the late 19th century. Frances Folsom Cleveland is said to be the model for the window, although she had long since graduated from the college when it was created.)

Frances was a loyal alumnae and devoted 40 years of her long life to the school as a trustee. She guided the school through a crisis of leadership and again through a major fund-raising effort. It was Wells that provided a place for her beau, and eventual second husband, Thomas J. Preston, Jr., and, more importantly, it was Wells that enabled her to step into the role of first lady at the tender age of 21 without missing a beat.

Meeting the alumnae (and now, since it has become co-ed, the alumni) that have experienced and graduated from Wells only reinforces my sense that this small school has enormous reach. Wells women are accomplished and successful in a variety of professions. They are poised and self-assured. When Henry Wells obtained a charter for the college in 1868, people questioned why he would want to educate women. One hundred and forty-two years later, there is no reason to ask the question. Meeting and talking with the alums says it all.

Wells is rich in history. It's founder was also the founder of the Wells Fargo Company, and the school still has one of the three remaining original coaches from that company. A clock, once owned by William Seward, Lincoln's Secretary of State and the decision-maker behind the Alaska purchase, hangs in Main Hall. Seward was a resident of the nearby town of Auburn.

We stayed in the Prophet's Chamber, an apartment reserved for speakers located in the school's historic Main Hall. My husband and I had come prepared to stay in the dorms, and I was surprised and honored to be given the keys to the Chamber. I also quickly learned that we became the object of deep envy, because staying in the Prophet's Chamber is a special honor. (Left: The Bell Tower of Wells College's Main Hall.)

People asked me if I thought the Chamber was haunted, as that is the rumor. If there are indeed some rambling ghosts, they were dormant our first night on campus. My husband and I had the best sleep we'd had in a week. However, the next evening, I was awakened periodically by a strange knocking. There were thunderstorms that night, and I thought for sure I was listening to the rumble of thunder - except that the knocking sound came from the interior hallway, not from outside the window. Nevertheless, we awoke in time to get to the airport by 7 a.m. to catch our 8:15 flight. If there are truly ghosts, they had once again gone into hiding.

Wells' graduates are loyal. The oldest class with representation graduated in 1945 - 60 years ago! Such commitment is a testimony to an educational institution that provides more than just an education - it offers a life-changing experience.

I am deeply grateful to the staff at Wells for hosting my husband and me, and allowing me to share a little piece of their history - both as a biographer of their most famous alumna, and as a participant in an annual event that retells the story of a remarkable college.

No comments:

Post a Comment